Wednesday

Sayonara

Hey all,

I had originally planned leaving Angers at the end of May, but a recent phone call changed those plans: I am now leaving Monday, May 3rd from Angers.

There are a million things to do before leaving, among them teaching one more week of classes, closing my bank account, canceling my cell phone, and packing my bags, but my introspective self, as usual, inevitably draws my thoughts inwards.

How am I feeling right now? Stressed about packing. Confused about what to do first. Saddened by what, and more importantly, who, I am leaving behind. Exhilirated by what lies ahead.

I've done a thorough job of neglecting this blog this year, but that is not something I regret. That might meet with disappointment on your side, but on my side, it is a reflection of a richer, lighter year spent less weighed down by brooding and more savoring the richness of my life here.

Am I ready to leave? No. Will I ever be ready to leave? No. Can I see myself living here? Yes. Am I paradoxically whole-heartedly committed to the work I will be doing in the US next year? Yes.

My time in France is over; when I come back, we will both have changed a great deal.

It's been pleasant. Ciao, bella!

Ben

No comments: