Tuesday

Videos!

Hey all,

So... at long last, here is the promised video of me playing guitar. It's not much; I've really just begun, so be gentle! I'm taking my time, trying to do things properly from the get-go. Not to mention, I'm not playing with any specific goal in mind beyond being able to jam with friends.



Also, here is a video of my and Erina's attempt at a mochizuki! For about four years when I was about ten, my dad, who worked for a Japanese company, used to take me to celebrate with his coworkers and their family. I still have fond memories of fifty-odd people, all distant aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews, gathering at the house to watch football, chat, and make mochi. Of course, it was a little bit awkward being the only one not related to everyone else there (not to mention the only white ones!), but once I got used to that awkwardness, I had a lot of fun. I hope someday to do it again, maybe with my family! It's a great tradition and fresh mochi is just about the tastiest thing in the world.



-Ben

7 comments:

you know who said...

ok, first of all, wow, home made mochi. impressive.
2ndly, not sure of the first song's name, but the 2nd one i definitely know the tune (good job!) but don't know the name. it's by one of those 60s or 70s bands right? folkish rock song, a classic. upbead tempo, i can hear in my head but just can't place the name. grrr.

r said...

nice job!!!

gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gail said...

ben,

nice hearing you play - so glad you are learning to play guitar. also, liked your reference to django reinhardt - one
of my favs! good choice there!
keep up the good work. look forward to hearing more!

Cassy said...

i heart mochi. :)

bhair said...

Simone: yes, homemade mochi is indeed impressive. And tasty. When it's done right! Without an usu, it's pretty tough to really get a proper paste, which makes for a surprising difference in taste. I'm coming along nicely with Redemption Song, by Bob Marley, but the F chord is holding me up with Down on the Corner by Credence Clearwater Revival.

Steve: thanks!

mama: I learned about Django Reindhardt from Tim's class on jazz! Luckily you had the Hot Club CDs that I could rip onto my computer and get a real taste for his style!

Cassy: yes! Mochi = nomnomnom. My favorite dessert, hands down.

bensdad said...

Hey Ben,
Good job on the guitar, and about that mochi.....
My main question is after all, how did it taste? Should I be suspicious that there is no film of you actually eating it? In any case it is the journey grasshopper, that is important. Someday maybe you can make mochi in Japan and see how much your memories line up with the reality.
CCR is a great place to start as John Fogarty is a Bay Area local and you can bring your French experience to the Bayou. Your mother and I saw Stephane Grappelli perform in San Francisco and he was amazing. The one thing I really remember was how much fun he had playing.
To get another perspective on Fresh Air and Terry Gross, sometime you should read interviews conducted by Oriana Fallaci and see how she was able to make people in power sqwirm.
Love, Dad