Thursday

Reflection

**NOTE**
Scroll down to the bottom of my blog for a new gadget... let me know what you think!
**Thanks!**

Hey all,

Time to head back to Bordeaux after a long short three weeks at home! I was just walking back from dinner with a couple of friends when I decided to look up at the stars. It was a beautiful night with only a modest scattering of twinkling lights to compliment the iridescent moon. But it only swept me away for so long; my body was cold, and after a busy day I decided to continue my walk home so as not to get sick.

Looking back on my visit thus far (my flight is on the 12th), I am happy with what I have accomplished. I have seen my friends quite a bit (Houman, Victor, Noah and Dan being the priority), and I spent a sufficient amount of time with family. My visit has been charged with what I consider to be important events: I saw a wonderful theatrical production of the Arabian Nights, went to my first (and only) American bar, saw some films, ate too much, read a lot, cooked six quiche, and gave/received love in many of its forms.

Tomorrow I apply to a program that would have me teaching English in France next year; this is HUGE: not only would it allow me to stay in France for another year, it would be, like, a job. Y'know? Not to mention it fits perfectly with my academic/career goals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But let's not paint the picture using only pastels; after all, it is the more sombre qualities of a painting that create a space for the light. Family is always tough - I have always been a little too outspoken in my relationships outside the family, and too softspoken in family matters. Having been met with only a couple of relatively serious disappointments, I can be proud of my handling the situation: though I must continue to work on clearly communicating my needs and feelings to those around me, I have without a doubt made progress. I attribute this to the frank nature of the French, and a philosophy of blunt communication that is often perceived as rudeness. Not to worry, I won't go overboard!

In reading about the intellectual environment directly preceding the Chinese Revolution, it becomes evident to me that the American people, and (by proxy) the people of the world are at the heart of a very revolutionary time. What this revolution will look like (because, after all, it will only be one of many) and what role I will come to play in it will prove to be very interesting.

I'm getting a bit droopy-eyed at the moment, so before I start typing gibberish (or worse, philosophizing), I think I'll call it quits.

I'd like to invite you to leave me a comment, doesn't have to be on this post, nor on any of the posts I've already made: after all, this is not the last. There are few things that make me happier than hearing from those of you that read this. Probably because it's so hard for me to believe that you do!

For those who are looking for an opponent, I love playing dominoes, chess, backgammon, and risk. I also just bought a mahjong set and will be learning to play in the coming weeks! Now go read 'muddle of pud'.

Ben 头发

3 comments:

bensdad said...

hey ben,
we have snow, so i hope you are enjoying a walk under the stars without boots and arctic jackets. the teaching plan sounds great; keep us posted.
love,
dad

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
you know who said...

Commenting on your thought of a revolution in the making in America, it'd be totally worth read if someone who is perceptive, introspective, steeped in academia, young, bright, inquisitive, named Ben, etc. to tell us about this revolution. i would definitely be curious, for sure. wonder what is the etymology for the word "revolution?" interesting since it means both a drastic change / overthrow of some sort, and also one thing encircling another. i bet you know. and cool thanks for the shout out!

good luck with the teaching gig and keep blogging from bordeaux!