Friday

new new

Hey all,

Just had a few things I thought I'd get off my chest/fill you in on.

Last week was the first week of classes here in Bordeaux, and I thought I'd share some academic updates with you! I'm reading some really great stuff this semester, and looking forward to dig into my work - I see these texts as the last few (required) contextual readings before I can say I have a decent grip on the many centuries of French literature, which will (presumably) let me get as narrow as I like in the 17th century without feeling too guilty about not doing the other ten centuries justice. I'm reading Proust, Rimbaud, Mallarmé, Ronsard, de LaClos, with more to follow... haven't been assigned readings for two of my literature classes yet. Should keep me busy, but happy!

I'm polishing up my CV today so I can run around Monday morning to apply for jobs teaching English part-time here in Bordeaux! Though tutoring brings home a tiny bit of pocket money, it's not cutting it, and I would love to build my resume a bit - nothing like multi-national references for a confidence booster! My host family's eldest daughter has been very generous with her time in helping me get the CV up to French standards, for which I am very grateful. She gave me a Petit Nicolas book for Christmas, which was sweet! I haven't read any of these children's stories since French 4, junior year of high school, so it will be nice to revisit some of that lighthearted youth lit.

I've been relatively diligent with my Chinese characters, though they certainly take a back seat here in France. Upon finishing The Gate of Heavenly Peace, I found myself a little impatient to reach a level of comprehension of Chinese that would allow me to read more sophisticated literature - among the authors discussed in the text were Lao She, Lu Xun, Xu Zhimo, Wen Yiduo, and Ding Ling, all of which were exceptionally gifted with words, yet met with tragedy in the upheaval of the Revolution. Will simply have to be patient with that one and enjoy where I am and what I'm doing now, which isn't too hard to do! hahaha.

Chinese New Year is coming up this Sunday, and I've been trying to make plans with my friends over here in Bordeaux to celebrate! Still not entirely sure on what we're going to do, but am hoping to get some games of mahjong in, maybe watch some quality Chinese cinema, and hopefully get some decent Chinese food... the restaurants here have been a little sub-par in comparison with what I was used to in the Bay Area, so all I'm really hoping for are some good dumplings! I also got some amazing tea (Pu-er from '98 and Blue People Oolong from a cool tea store in SF), which I'm looking forward to sharing with my friends. I highly reccommend that store to anyone looking for good tea and friendly, generous service! I spent an hour there tasting various teas without noticing hahah.

I had a great time watching the Inauguration on Tuesday night ("investiture" in French - "inauguration" is a term in French, but used only for inaugurating buildings). My professor had no problem with me leaving class a little bit early - I was dressed (tastefully) in red white and blue and was proudly sporting my gaudy Obama pin. More and more I'm realizing just how little difference there is between literature and politics... to a greater or lesser extent, we are all subject to the conditions of our time, and great literature is no exception to that rule. Watching Obama's speech filled me with a great sense of pride; though not overwhelming, I was profoundly impressed with his way with words and seemingly penetrating mindfulness; he handles the complicated issues of current American society with astounding ease and simplicity. One can only imagine how much time he takes writing these speeches... not to mention he's the one writing them! I feel very comfortable knowing he is in office, but also that Bush is out. They are both quite reassuring to a proud Californian/awake American in France. I am celebrating Chinese New Year not only because of my interest in Chinese culture, but in a way I feel like this Sunday, a New Year, a new era will truly begin: new classes consciousness and friends in a new country, pledging allegiance to a new president in the hopes for a renewed pride in my old New World.

Peace and best wishes to you all! 新年快樂!

Benjamin/毛頭髪

1 comment:

you know who said...

happy year of the ox, oxenesque friend.